Monday, June 8, 2009

Teaching

The dinner guests were sitting around the table discussing life. One man, a CEO, decided to explain the problem with education. He argued, "What's a kid going to learn from someone who decided his best option in life was to become a teacher?" He reminded the other dinner guests what they say about teachers: "Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach." To stress his point he said to another guest; "You're a teacher, Bonnie. Be honest. What do you make?"

Bonnie, who had a reputation for honesty and frankness replied, "You want to know what I make?" (She paused for a second, then began...)

"Well, I make kids work harder than they ever thought they could.
I make a C+ feel like the Congressional Medal of Honor.
I make kids sit through 40 minutes of class time when their parents can't make them sit for 5 without an I Pod, Game Cube, or movie rental...
You want to know what I make?" (She paused again and looked at each and every person at the table.)

I make kids wonder.
I make them question.
I make them criticize.
I make them apologize and mean it.
I make them have respect and take responsibility for their actions.
I teach them to write and then I make them write.
I make them read, read, read.
I make them show all their work in math.
I make my students from other countries learn everything they need to know in English while preserving their unique cultural identity.
I make my classroom a place where all my students feel safe.
I make my students stand to say the Pledge of Allegiance to the flag, because we live in the United States of America.
Finally, I make them understand that if they use the gifts they were given, work hard, and follow their hearts, they can succeed in life."

(Bonnie paused one last time and then continued.) "Then, when people try to judge me by what I make, I can hold my head up high and pay no attention because they are ignorant... You want to know what I make? I MAKE A DIFFERENCE. What do you make?"

A staff member sent out the above email. Although Doug and I sometimes complain about all of the crap teachers have to do and all of the students who are a pain in the butt, we love teaching. We both love hanging out with pre-teens and teenagers and teaching them. Yes, we will never earn the big bucks, drive the best cars, have the biggest house, or go on lavish vacations, but we love what we do and both feel as if we actually make a difference. It is this time of year when we get thank you notes for the impact we've had on students and former students come and visit us. We love seeing how students have grown into young adults, many making more money than us. Haha! For example, one of my former students who visited me will be making six figures next year. (I, on the other hand, will never make that much.) The amazing thing about our jobs is that we will never comprehend how many people and generations we will influence. This is why teaching is amazing.

1 comment:

  1. And someday about 10 years from now they will still remember you and come back and see you. Sometimes I wish I were a little mouse in the corner watching you teach. I am sure your a great teacher.

    ReplyDelete