My dad is the absolutely hardest person in the world to shop for. He will never tell you what he wants because he never wants anything. A common phrase from him is "Make me something." That is not always the easiest thing in the world. Good grief, he was an art major and a perfectionist! Well, this year, I made him a book-- a thank you book. It listed all of the things that I am thankful for. Because of him, I know how to work. In order to play on tournament teams, I had to work for him to pay my debt. As a result, I took pride in the things that I had. I learned the value of an education. (I believe that I am the first person on his side of the family to graduate from college.) He taught me how to sing hymns and encouraged me to play my violin perfectly. He is a terrific listener and always has insight and makes me think. Whenever things don't go my way, he has some sort of advice. Because of him, I know the value of a dollar. He had me read One for the Money at the age of eight. It used to completely irritate Doug but that is the way I am. Now, Doug appreciates it. We have gotten through our "tough time" financially because of the lessons my dad taught me. I am also thankful that my dad convinced me not to "Dear John" Doug. (That one was Doug's favorite.) There are so many more things... I made a whole book. I am thankful for him. HAPPY FATHER'S DAY, DAD!
Mi Esposo
I wanted to do something really big for Father's Day this year. Holidays and birthdays haven't been too great this year as far as gifts and spending money is concerned. We have had to use all of the money we got to pay bills because of my maternity leave. However, I have been saving all year long for a BBQ for Doug. He has wanted one so bad. In fact, he has been talking about it all week. He even said that his manhood is judged by his BBQ.
Earlier this week, I sent Doug on an errand to get canning jars. Then my dad and I picked up the BBQ at Lowes and hid it in the garage. I was so worried that he would see it. Thank goodness that a lot of our stuff is packed up in boxes. I just piled more empty boxes on it. He didn't even notice! I got him several things... a book called Father to Daughter, a BBQ utensil set (which I said that he could use to pretend he had a nice grill), and an OSU grill cover (so he could pretend he could have a nice grill and no one would see our old one.)

For the last present, I took a picture of the BBQ and put it in a CD case. He thought it was a CD and was so shocked when everything finally clicked.
He has been beaming all day long, wanting to BBQ anything and everything. He finally got to. We had steak, homemade mashed potatoes, green beans, and brownies. Overall, I think he had a good day. After all, he got his BBQ and is a terrific father and husband. I am lucky to have a husband who does the laundry, helps me cook, helps with the dishes, and gets the girls ready in the morning. He is a great listener and has been my best friend for almost ten years now. And of course, we always joke that I wouldn't put up with anything less. Happy Father's Day, Dougie!



Happy Father's Day! Good job Angie.
ReplyDeleteHappy Father's Day, Doug. Good job , Angie
ReplyDeleteWhen are we going to eat??
ReplyDeleteoh angie, what a great idea!! brilliant! stephens birthday is coming up next month- i might have to steal your idea. :) doug is just glowing. ;o)
ReplyDelete