Friday, February 27, 2009

And Then There Were Two...


Our exhausting, yet exciting, adventure began on Monday, February 23. We checked in to the hospital at 5:30am. It was kind of nice because we knew what to expect with a c-section. The whole i.v. thing went much better this time around-- no blood shooting into the air. Doug had specific orders to stay far away when it was inserted. We answered a million questions and waited patiently for the doctor to show up. When the anesthesiologist showed up, I was a little taken aback. She was a she and young. (I had very old men with my previous three surgeries, so I guess I had that sexist stereotype in my mind.) She was absolutely fabulous. I know that it was because her name was Angie too. She got the spinal in the first time. I had jokingly told her that she needed to beat the record of five attempts with Madi.

The surgery quickly began. There was a third Angie, a nurse, in the room during the surgery too. I had no idea how popular my name is. It is absolutely amazing how doctors just go on chatting just like everything is normal while they are slicing someone open. Braelyn Baili Gunter was born at 8:23am. She was 8 lbs. 5 oz. and 20 inches long. She rarely made a peep when they pulled her out. They held her up and then gave her to us to hold. Soon after that, they took her away to be weighed and cleaned off. It was funny because I could see my guts in the reflection of the ceiling when they were stitching me up. Oh, so sentimental, I know.

It was about 10:00am, and Doug and I were in the recovery room. Little Braelyn still didn't have a name. Since I decided on Madi, I told him to make the final decision. At about 11:30am, we went to our room.



1 comment: