A few Saturdays ago as I was walking around Egan's (my favorite spot to buy flowers), I realized that I am completely addicted to buying flowers. *Live flowers...not the dead ones that cost a fortune.* I have always loved having a colorful yard decorated with flowers everywhere. We learned a lot from landscaping our first house. Now we both know the kind of flowers and plants that we do and do not like and the importance of planting a variety so they bloom throughout most of the year. (And believe it or not, Doug contributes a lot to the flower and plant purchases.) Whenever I leave Egan's, our SUV is usually packed. But this time, I limited myself to three crates for several reasons:
- In October, I planted almost 90 bulbs. In March, I bought 90 more bulbs to plant. (We are running out of room.)
- We were smarter with our plant selection last year and bought a lot of perennials.
- We had friends coming over that night for dinner, and I had two hours to plant everything.
Doug and I are slowly re-landscaping our front yard. We tore out all of the shrubs and rhododendrons. My favorite flowers are calla lilies. I made sure to plant four of those bulbs and am really looking forward to those growing. On this particular day, I planted everything myself because Doug hurt his back picking up a toy and couldn't walk. (Yes, he's getting old.) I was alone in the rain planting bulbs and flowers. (Ironically, I really dislike yard work.)
 |
| This was right before all of the tulips sprouted. |
 |
| See the black thing in the back? It's called Black Mondo. (I LOVE IT!) |
 |
| Some of our tulips...they are my second favorite flower. |
 |
| See the four poofy flower containers? These are my third favorite flower. I used to call them poof ball flowers until I recently discovered they are called English Daisies. (In fact, they used to be considered weeds). |
I can't wait until everything blooms this summer and fall. There's nothing better than sitting on our deck on a warm summer's night, admiring our hard work.
No comments:
Post a Comment