Monday, September 13, 2010

A Tinkerbell Birthday

Each year, Doug and I (okay, primarily me) feel the painstaking need to make a creative cake and/or cupcakes. This year, I really didn't have any great ideas. On the upside, Doug and I have become huge fans of Cake Boss and DC Cupcakes; this year I wanted to try something with fondant. I came to the genius conclusion that I could make a fairy cake fairly easily. (Wrong!) We took a trip to Captain Alberts after a failed attempt at making our own fondant. The bucket of fondant was $18, which is too much to spend on a "practice" cake. I purchased fondant shape cutters, coloring paste, a brush, decorating tips, and edible glitter and pearls. The nice lady also gave me a great tip about marshmellow fondant being easier to make.
                                            Our first attempt at making fondant.
The practice cake with marshmellow fondant. (Marshmellow fondant doesn't taste all that great so we had to find a new game plan.)
Here is the beautiful cake. :) It's hard to tell but there is fairy dust aka glitter on the cake. Madi loved it!
                               Some of the fairy cupcakes I made.
                                    Another cupcake
EVERYTHING was Tinkerbell! This is the fairy outfit that Madi got, which was too small. :(
                      She jumped up to my dad and said, "Make me fly like Tinkerbell!"
                     My dad, Terri, Doug, and I gave her her very first bike.
                                      Blowing out the candles
                                Braelyn was ready to dive in!
Madi on her actual birthday in her Tinkerbell apron that she got from Grandma Elaine and Papa Doug.

Overall, Madi had a great birthday. She went to bed saying, "Daddy, I had so much fun." She loves when she gets to see her family. The stress of putting on a birthday party, especially the day before school starts, is well worth it. Happy Birthday, Mads!

2 comments:

  1. It was a great party - very stylish cake and so glad Madi had a great birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so good Angie! I am going to have you teach me how to make those pretty cakes someday.

    ReplyDelete